Slow Cooked Beef Brisket
Mmmm… Beefy brisket is transformed into tender morsels of goodness. Rub the beef with a combination of chilli powder, cumin, brown sugar, cayenne and garlic then slow-cook it in a homemade sweet and savoury sauce. After ten hours of gentle cooking, the meat can be sliced or shredded, tossed with the sauce, and stuffed into […]
- For the brisket:
- 1 Pure South Beef Brisket (1.5 kg) (we love Pure South)
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp chilli powder
- 1/4 cup paprika
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper (more as needed)
- 1 tbsp rock salt (more as needed)
- For the sauce:
- 1 1/2 cups Chantal Organics Tomato Passata
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- 1 tsp garlic powder (or minced fresh garlic)
- 3/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
Place all of the sauce ingredients in a large pressure/slow cooker and stir to combine.
Place all of the measured brisket ingredients, except the brisket, in a medium bowl and stir to combine.
Evenly coat the brisket with the spice rub and place the brisket into your pressure/slow cooker. Cover and cook on low until fork-tender, about ten hours. If using the Instant Pot, set the timer to 2 hours. Check the meat can easily be pulled away with a fork. If not, cook for a further half an hour.
Transfer the brisket to a serving dish. Slice or pull the meat. Pour the sauce from the pressure/slow cooker to serve.
Serve with pickled onions, limes, soft shell tacos and your favourite salad.
LOOKING FOR MORE RECIPE IDEAS?
Sign up for delicious recipes and sustainable living ideas (don't worry, we won't spam you and we never share your data!)