Tofu Sushi Sandwich With Tahini Sauce
Onigirazu (Sushi sandwich) is a great way to enjoy your sushi on the go. This version has a vegan filling of tofu katsu, Avocado, red cabbage, kumara, coriander and a delicious tahini sauce. YUM!
- For the tofu
- 1 block firm tofu, cut in 1cm slices (we love Bean Supreme)
- 1 cup Chantal Organics Rice Flour
- 1 Egg
- ½ packet Coat ‘n’ crumb (we love we love Diamond)
- Extra virgin peanut oil for shallow frying ( we love we love Olivado)
- To assemble
- 2 cups of cooked sushi rice (we love we love Sunrice)
- 1 orange kumara, cooked and sliced thinly
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced (we love we love NZ Avocado)
- A handful coriander, roughly chopped (we love we love Superb Herb)
- 1 cup finely shredded red cabbage
- For the tahini sauce
- 2 tsp Chantal Organics Tahini Hulled
- 1 tsp Chantal Organics Sesame Oil Toasted
- 1 tsp Manuka honey (we love we love Airborne)
- 1 tsp soy sauce(we love we love Lee Kum Kee)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1-2 tsp sriracha sauce
- 1-2 tsp lime juice
- 4 nori sheets
Cook sushi rice as per packet instructions.
Place rice flour in a bowl, set aside. In another bowl whisk the egg with a little water. In a third bowl, place the coat’n’cook.
Slice the tofu into 1 cm slices and panne in the rice flour, egg and coat & cook.
Heat a large heavy based pan over a medium heat.Shallow fry the tofu in the peanut oil over a medium to hot heat until golden. Shake off excess oil and transfer onto paper towels. Set aside.
Mix all ingredients of the tahini sauce in a small bowl.
Place a large piece of cling film on a dry flat surface.Lay a large sheet Nori sheet diagonally on the middle of the plastic wrap. Spread about 1/4 cup of the seasoned rice in the center of the nori in a square shape.
7. Lay red cabbage,tofu katsu,avocado slices, kumara, tahini sauce and coriander fillings over the layer of rice.
Lay the top layer of cooked rice, about 1/4 cup, on top of the fillings. Maintain the shape of the bottom layer of rice.
Using the plastic wrap, pull one edge of the nori sheet towards the center of the square rice. Press down to seal the nori to the rice, then peel back the plastic wrap.Again using the plastic wrap, pull the opposite corner (from the corner just sealed) of the nori sheet and press securely onto the rice. Close the remaining corners of the onigirazu by folding in the nori sheet, and again peeling back the plastic wrap.
When all corners are folded closed, seal the onigirazu with the plastic wrap.Keep the onigirazu in the plastic wrap for at least 5 minutes.The finished onigirazu looks like a square rice sandwich covered in Nori.
Cut in half, peel the plastic film and serve.
LOOKING FOR MORE RECIPE IDEAS?
Sign up for delicious recipes and sustainable living ideas (don't worry, we won't spam you and we never share your data!)