Feijoada – Brazilian Black Bean & Meat Stew
Feijoada is a very popular stew of beans with beef and pork. The stew has lots of variations in several different countries but Brazilians make it superb with spicy & smokey sausages and always lovely black beans! This is an ultimate comforting dinner during the chilly season.
- 500g NZ fresh pork leg, cut into chunks (we love Pure South)
- 500g beef brisket, cut into chunks (we love Pure South)
- 2 onions, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 tbsp Chantal Organics Coconut Oil
- 100g free range streaky bacon, sliced
- 3 chorizo sausages, sliced
- 1 red chilli, thinly sliced
- 1 orange, juice and zest
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp Chantal Organics Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 can (400g) Chantal Organics Chopped Tomatoes
- 1 ½ cups beef stock (we love Kallo) - use 1 Kallo stock cube for each 500ml water
- 1 can (400g) Chantal Organics Black Beans, drained
- A handful coriander (we love Superb Herb)
- To serve:
- 2 mini capsicums, sliced
- 1 orange, cut into quarters
- Coriander leaves (we love Superb Herb)
- Cooked white rice
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches, brown the pork and beef all over and transfer to the slow cooker pot.
In the same skillet, saute onion and garlic until translucent. Place in the slow cooker pot over meat.
Add bacon, chorizo, chilli, orange juice and zest, vinegar, tomatoes, bay leaves and stock into the slow cooker. Cook on high for 3–4 hours or low for 4–5 hours.
Mix black beans in the pot and season to taste. Cook for a further 30 minutes–1 hour.
Serve over steamed white rice garnished with capsicum and coriander. Squeeze orange over the top just before eating.
LOOKING FOR MORE RECIPE IDEAS?
Sign up for delicious recipes and sustainable living ideas (don't worry, we won't spam you and we never share your data!)