Spiced Apple & Feijoa Brown Rice Porridge
Done with oats but love a good porridge? Try using brown rice instead for a gluten free alternative full of nutrients. We have paired apple and feijoa in this recipe with cinnamon and coconut milk for extra creaminess.
- For the Porridge
- 1 cup brown rice - washed (we love SunRice)
- 1 can Chantal Organics Coconut Milk
- Boiling water
- 3 Apples - 2 pealed, cored and cubed - 1 sliced thinly to garnish (we love Jazz apples)
- 8 Feijoas - 4 skin removed and cubed - 4 sliced thinly to garnish
- 8 select dates - roughly chopped (we love Alison’s Pantry)
- 1 cinnamon quill
- 1 vanilla Pod
- 1 tsp honey
- For the Pecans
- Pecans (we love Alison’s Pantry)
- 1 tsp honey
- A pinch of Chantal Organics Sea Salt Fine
- We used a Le Creuset deep casserole dis
Bring the coconut milk, cinnamon quill and vanilla pod (slit lengthway with a sharp knife and scrape the seeds in as well as the pod) to a gentle simmer in a heavy based saucepan over a medium heat.
Add the brown rice, cubed feijoa and apples, chopped dates, and simmer until brown rice is completely cooked through and you have a creamy texture - roughly 20-30 minutes. Add boiling water at any point to thin out consistency.
In a fry pan over a high heat, toast the pecans in a little honey and salt until golden. Remove from heat and set aside.
Once porridge is cooked, taste and add honey if necessary.
Top with fresh feijoa, apple slices and honey salted pecans.
LOOKING FOR MORE RECIPE IDEAS?
Sign up for delicious recipes and sustainable living ideas (don't worry, we won't spam you and we never share your data!)