- 2 tbsp Chantal Organics Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 500g NZ Farm Raised Venison Stew Meat, cut into chunks
- 125g Farmland Thin Sliced Streaky Bacon, diced
- 2 onions, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp Chantal Organics Tomato Paste
- 1 red capsicum, chopped
- 2 cans (400g) Chantal Organics Chopped Tomatoes
- 1 cup hot stock (vegetable or beef)
- 3 Superb Herb bay leaves
- Salt and pepper
- Serve with:
- 1/2 cup Superb Herb parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup sour cream (omit for dairy free)
- Sourdough bread or cooked potatoes
In a large pot or nonstick wok over high heat, add 1 tablespoon of oil. Add half the venison and sear until brown all over, about 3 minutes. Remove venison with a slotted spoon. Add the remaining oil and venison and repeat, then remove with a slotted spoon.
Turn the heat down to medium, add bacon and onions, and saute for 5 minutes. Add garlic, smoked paprika and tomato paste and fry for a further minute, stirring so it doesn’t stick to the bottom.
Return the venison to the pot, add remaining ingredients and gently simmer for 90 minutes, until the venison is fork tender. (Alternatively transfer stew to a crockpot.) Discard bay leaves then season with salt and pepper.
Ladle into bowls and top with sour cream (if using) and fresh parsley.
LOOKING FOR MORE RECIPE IDEAS?
Sign up for delicious recipes and sustainable living ideas (don't worry, we won't spam you and we never share your data!)