Easy Lentil Curry
by Tereza Poljanic
A great source of fibre and plant based protein, lentils readily absorb sauces and seasonings making them an ideal base for curries. Here’s a warming vegetarian recipe from whole foodie Tereza Poljanic, that’s quick and easy to put together. We always make extra for lunch the following day, too.
- 1 cup Chantal dried lentils, soaked overnight
- 1 Tbsp Chantal coconut oil
- 1 cup Chantal coconut milk
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 tbsp Chantal turmeric powder
- 1 small piece of ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 tsp Chantal cumin seeds
- 1 tsp Chantal caraway seeds
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander seeds
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup Chantal chopped tomatoes
1. In a medium pot heat the coconut oil, add the spices and fry for 2 minutes.
2. Add onion and cook for three minutes over low heat, stirring frequently, until translucent.
3. Add garlic and lentils then mix to combine and cook for a further two minutes, stirring frequently.
4. Add chopped tomatoes and water then bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes, until the lentils are cooked. (Once cooked they’ll be tender to touch – we always taste a spoonful to check)
5. Lastly, add the coconut milk, lemon juice, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Divide into bowls and serve on a bed of brown rice then top with a dollop of coconut yoghurt.