Tofu Satay Skewers
Enjoy an easy and healthy, vegetarian dinner cooked on the barbecue. We made the sweet satay peanut sauce nut-free using the VGood Company Chickpea peaNOT Butter, so everyone can appreciate the authentic Asian flavour.
- 500g firm tofu, cubed
- 4 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander seeds
- 4 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup Chantal Organics Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Satay Sauce
- 1 tbsp Chantal Organics Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can Chantal Organics Coconut Milk
- 2 tbsp red curry paste
- 1 cup VGood Company peaNOT Chickpea Butter Crunchy
- 2 tbsp Chantal Organics Tamari Soy Sauce
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- Water, as needed
- Cucumber Salad
- 1 cucumber, sliced diagonally
- 4 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tsp white sugar
- 1 red chilli, minced (optional)
- 1/3 cup Superb Herb Coriander Leaves
- Pinch of salt
- To serve (optional):
- Cooked jasmine rice
- Superb Herb Coriander Leaves
- Special Equipment
- Wooden skewers (pre soaked in water, so they don't burn)
Mix marinade ingredients in a small bowl. Place tofu in a bowl and cover with marinade. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours to marinate.
Add all cucumber salad ingredients into a bowl and lightly toss until combined. Place in the refrigerator until ready to eat.
Heat a small saucepan to a medium–high temperature. Add oil and shallots and cook for 1 minute. Add the garlic and cook for a further minute. Add ½ cup of the coconut milk with the red curry paste, cook for 1 more minute. Add the remaining coconut milk, chickpea butter, soy sauce, brown sugar and salt. Add water, as needed. Mix well. Bring to the boil. Once bubbling, reduce to a very low simmer.
Thread marinated tofu onto skewers.
Preheat the barbecue to medium high.
Remove the satay sauce from the heat and stir through the lime juice. Pour sauce into a side bowl.
Cook the tofu skewers for 3–5 minutes, each side.
Serve skewers on a platter with the dipping satay sauce on the side. In side bowls, serve cucumber salad and rice.
If you have leftover satay sauce – lucky you! Use it to make buddha bowls with your favourite toppings.
LOOKING FOR MORE RECIPE IDEAS?
Sign up for delicious recipes and sustainable living ideas (don't worry, we won't spam you and we never share your data!)