Quick Apricot Chicken Casserole
Apricots go well with chicken, adding a kind of sweet and sour flavour. This is one of our quick go-to dinners — using ingredients you usually have in the pantry. It freezes and reheats well too, handy for those nights when you can’t be bothered cooking but still want something nourishing.
- 1 tbsp Chantal Organics Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 whole free-range chicken, cut into pieces (we love Waitoa)
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 tbsp Chantal Organics Tomato Paste
- 1 tbsp sweet chilli sauce (we love Lee Kum Kee)
- 1 can Chantal Organics Chopped Tomatoes
- 1 400g can apricot halved, drained
- 1 cup chicken stock (we love Kallo)
- 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme (we love Superb Herb)
- We made this dish in a Le Creuset Signature Cast Iron Round Casserole.
Heat the oil in a large frying pan or saucepan and brown chicken pieces for 2-3 minutes on both sides until lightly browned. Set chicken aside.
Drizzle a little more oil into the same pan and fry onion and garlic until soft, about 3-4 minutes. Add back the chicken, along with the tomato paste, sweet chilli sauce, herbs, tomatoes, apricots, water and chicken stock. Roughly break up the apricots with a wooden spoon.
Stir all ingredients together and partially cover with a lid.
Simmer on medium heat for 15-20 minutes until the chicken is cooked through. Serve hot with rice, couscous or mash, and greens. Sprinkle fresh thyme on top.
LOOKING FOR MORE RECIPE IDEAS?
Sign up for delicious recipes and sustainable living ideas (don't worry, we won't spam you and we never share your data!)