Creamy Maple-Bacon Butternut Soup
by The Chantal Team
The addition of maple syrup and bacon make this soup absolutely divine! Five-spice is known for combining all five flavours: sweet, sour, bitter, salty and umami – all which gives this soup the WOW factor. You and your guests will fall in love with this unique soup!
- 200g bacon, sliced
- 2 kg butternut, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp five-spice powder
- 1 tsp Chantal Organics Sea Salt
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 Tbsp butter or Chantal Organics Coconut Oil
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- ¼ cup Chantal Organics Pumpkin Seeds, lightly toasted
- Chantal Organics Hemp Seed Oil for drizzling
- Preheat oven to 180° C.
- Arrange chopped butternut in a roasting pan, top with garlic and slices of bacon. Drizzle with maple syrup and 1 tbsp of the butter or coconut oil. Sprinkle with five-spice powder and salt. Roast for 25-30 minutes.
- In a large pot, heat the other 1 tbsp of butter or coconut oil, and sauté until translucent. Add the roasted ingredients and the stock and simmer over low heat, partially covered, for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add the pumpkin seeds to a dry frying pan and lightly toast for a few minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Use a stick blender or transfer soup to a blender and puree until smooth and creamy.
To serve, top each bowl of soup with a spoonful of pumpkin seeds and a drizzle of hemp seed oil.