Apple Crumble Cinnamon Scrolls
by Fresh Factory
These little buns of cinnamony, apple crumble heaven are to die for! They take a bit of time but the method is super simple and they are well worth the wait!
For the filling
- 4 apples - cored and cut into small cubes (we love Jazz apples)
- 50g butter (we love Anchor)
- 1 tsp ground Chantal Organics Ground Cinnamon
- 1 packet biscuits - crushed, we used gingernut
For the buns
- 550g Chantal Organics Flour
- 2 tbsp Chantal Naturals Baking Powder
- 2 tsp Chantral Naturals Sea Salt Fine
- 2 tsp Chantal Organics Ground Cinnamon
- 230g butter - cubed (we love Anchor)
- 280 ml milk (we love Anchor)
- Extra flour for rolling
- Extra butter for greasing the tin and brushing the scrolls
- Extra biscuit crumbs mixed with sugar and cinnamon to sprinkle on top
We baked these scrolls in a Le Creuset 12 cup muffin tray.
- Make the apple filling. Stew the apples, butter and cinnamon in a small saucepan over medium heat until soft, sticky and the liquid is reduced as much as possible. Mash the apples with a fork then set aside to cool completely - best to be refrigerated until adding to the pastry.
- Heat the oven to 200C and grease a 12 hole muffin tray with melted butter.
- Make the scroll dough. In a stand alone mixer with a paddle attachment, pulse process the dry ‘bun ingredients’ with the cubed cold butter until you have a fine crumb. Add the milk and continue to process until a dough is formed.
- Tip the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and give it a gentle knead for 1 minute then leave to rest for 10 minutes.
- Roll out the dough into a rectangle roughly 5mm thick. Spread the cold apple mixture all over the dough and sprinkle with biscuit crumbs.
- Roll the long side away from you tightly to form a spiral roll.
- Cut into 12 even slices and place each piece into the muffin tin, spiral facing up. Brush the top with melted butter.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until golden.
- Sprinkle some biscuit crumbs mixed with sugar & cinnamon while they are still hot.
- Best served warm!