Basil Strawberry Cake
by Tereza Poljanic
This summer cake has just the right amount of sweetness to compliment the creamy frosting, summer strawberries and touch of fresh basil. This cake from Tereza at Teresamisu is both delicious and unique with the addition of perfectly toasted pumpkin seeds.
- ½ cup/110g Chantal coconut oil
- ½ cup/170g Chantal rice syrup
- 1/3 cup/40g Chantal golden sugar
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 ¼/155g Chantal wholemeal flour (sifted)
- ¼ cup/45g Chantal pumpkin seeds
- ½ Tbsp Chantal baking powder
- ¼ tsp Chantal baking soda
- a pinch of Chantal fine sea salt
- ¼ cup/60ml almond milk
- 200g Mascarpone (if vegan use coconut whipped cream)
- 6 Tbsp Greek yoghurt (if vegan use coconut yoghurt)
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 3 Tbsp finely blended Chantal golden sugar
- 1 punnet strawberries
- handful of fresh basil
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees celcius. Grease and line a small cake tin.
2. First toast the pumpkin seeds in a dry pan until
brown. Then us a blender to blitz them into a fine flour. Set aside.
3. Cream coconut oil with the rice syrup and golden sugar until smooth. Add the vanilla and eggs and mix well. Fold through the wholemeal flour, pumpkin seed flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
4. Gently mix through the almond milk until the mixture
5. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking tin and
place in the oven for 30 minutes.
6. Once cooked, remove from the oven and set aside to
7. To make the frosting, gently mix all the ingredients
8. Decorate the cake with the frosting and chopped
strawberries and basil.