by Buffy-Ellen Gill
Christmas is just around the corner, and to celebrate, the lovely Buffy-Ellen of Be Good Organics has created a delightfully spiced gingerbread, perfectly enjoyed with a cup of tea. We think they’d make great wee gifts for secret Santa and Christmas stockings!
- 1 1/2 cups Chantal white flour stoneground
- 5 tsp Chantal ginger powder
- 2 tsp Chantal cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp Chantal baking soda
- 1/2 tsp guar gum
- 1/4 tsp Chantal fine sea salt
- 3 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp Chantal deodorised coconut oil, softened
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup Chantal almond butter
1. Preheat the oven to 175°C (347°F) on fan bake and place your baking tray in the oven to warm up. Make sure you line it with baking paper before placing any cookies on top!
2. Blend all dry ingredients in a blender until fine and combined.
3. Mix wet ingredients in a separate bowl, whisking until well emulsified, then pour into your blender with the dry ingredients and mix on low until combined. Make sure to scrape down the sides with a spatula as required to bring in all dry ingredients.
4. Place a sheet of baking paper on a chopping board, pour out dough mix and flatten with your palms. Then, place another sheet of baking paper on top (this prevents the dough from sticking!) and roll out with your rolling pin, until roughly 1 cm thick.
5. You can now get cookie cutting! While we’ve used gingerbread men cookie cutters here, stars, Christmas trees or hearts would also work great. Simply cut as many from the slice of dough as you can and, once you’ve run out of space, ball up the dough, roll it back out and start again until it’s all gone! Add to the oven tray as you go.
6. Bake for 10 minutes, let cool for at least five minutes on the tray, then carefully remove and allow to cool completely on a wire rack before eating.
7. Store in an airtight container for up to four days.