by Tereza Poljanic
Afternoon tea anyone? We’re loving this fruity vegan treat from the lovely Tereza Poljanic. It’s ideal for satisfying that 3pm sweet tooth.
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp ground Chantal Organics Brown Linseeds + 5 tbsp water mixed together and left to sit for 15 minutes)
- 3/4 cup Chantal Organics Golden Sugar
- 3 tbsp Chantal Organics Brown Rice Syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/2 cup Chantal Organics Coconut Oil
- 1 cup grated apple (2-3)
- 1 sliced apple
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk (we love Isola Bio)
- A pinch of Chantal Naturals Sea Salt Fine
- 1 tsp Chantal Naturals Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Chantal Naturals Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Chantal Organics Ginger Powder
- 1 tsp Chantal Organics Cinnamon Powder
- 2 cups Chantal Organics Wholemeal Flour
- 2 tbsp poppy seeds (optional)
1. Preheat oven 180 degrees Celsius and prepare a cake tin. In a large mixing bowl, prepare flax eggs by mixing flaxseed meal and water then let rest.
2. Grate apples, then place grated apple on a clean dish towel and gently squeeze to remove about half of the juice. Set aside.
3. Add sugar, brown rice malt syrup, coconut oil, vanilla, almond milk and grated apple to the flax egg and whisk together.
4. In another bowl mix flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, ginger, cinnamon and poppy seeds. Stir gently with a spoon, then slowly add to wet ingredients, stirring to combine, being careful not to over mix.
5. Finely slice the apple. Put on the bottom of the cake tin.
6. Pour batter into prepared cake tin.
7. Bake for about 35 minutes. A toothpick inserted into the center should come out clean and the edges should be visibly golden.
8. Remove from oven and set out on counter to cool completely. Flip the cake upside down out of the tin and serve.
Serve with a dollop of coconut yoghurt and a drizzle of Chantal apple syrup.