Christmas Nut Roast
by The Chantal team
This festive nut roast is made with wholesome, nourishing ingredients and is both vegan and gluten free. It is delicious hot or cold, perfect for left overs. Plus it’s simple to make and can be made ahead of time and frozen for up to 3 months or chilled for 3 days and reheated.
- 200g Chantal Organics Red Lentils
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 50g sun-dried tomatoes; oil reserved, drained and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 50g Chantal Organics Apricots, chopped
- 200g mixed nuts, chopped
- 50g of mixed Chantal Organics Sunflower Seeds and Pumpkin Seeds
- 1 Tbsp Chantal Organics Linseeds, ground
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1½ tsp dried mixed herbs
- 1 tsp Chantal Organics Tamari
- 1 tsp Chantal Organics Turmeric Powder
- Chantal Naturals Sea Salt Fine and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Make a flax-egg by mixing 1 Tbsp ground flaxseed and 3 Tbsp water together in a small bowl and set aside.
- Cook the lentils in plenty of water for 15 minutes, then drain using a fine sieve.
- While the lentils cook, heat a little of the sun-dried tomato oil in your largest frying pan and gently fry the onion for 5 minutes until softened.
- Add the garlic, apricots, flax-egg, nuts, seeds and carrot. Stir well.
- Add the cooked lentils, herbs, tamari, turmeric, salt and pepper and stir again.
- Line a loaf tin (20cm x 10cm) with non-stick baking paper and spoon in the mixture, patting down well.
- Bake for 50 minutes and allow to cool slightly before removing and cutting into thick slices.