Wine Poached Apple & Hazelnut Trifle
by Fresh Factory
Spiced white wine poached apples make for the perfect twist on the classic trifle. Sponge cake layered with poached apples and fluffy hazelnut ricotta cream is a winner at the Xmas dinner table.
For the wine poached apples
- 1kg apples, eighths and cored (we love Jazz Apples)
- 1 Lemon - sliced
- 1 bottle white wine (we love Giesen Sauvignon Blanc)
- ¾ cup Chantal Organics golden sugar
- 2 star anise
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 knobs of butter (we love Anchor)
- 1 store bought trifle sponge
For the hazelnut cream
- 1 tub (250g) Ricotta cheese (we love Perfect Italiano)
- 1 cup cream (we love Anchor)
- 3 tbsp Chantal Organics honey
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup hazelnuts, toasted and chopped (we love Alison’s Pantry)
Extra toasted hazelnuts to garnish
- In a heavy bottomed pot, place apples, cinnamon sticks, star anise, sugar, honey and lemon. Pour wine and cover. Cook gently for 20-30 minutes until apples are soft. Strain the apples. Reserve the poaching liquid.
- Caramelise a few apple pieces for the topping - fry in a little butter and honey until golden and caramelised. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl beat ricotta, cream, honey and vanilla with an electric mixer until thick. Stir in ½ the hazelnuts. Cover and chill until ready to assemble trifle.
- In a trifle bowl, or individual glasses, line a single layer of sponge, drizzle with poaching liquid. Then add a single layer of poached apples.Spoon over hazelnut cream. Repeat to your desired layers.
- Decorate with the caramelised apples and some extra toasted hazelnuts,cinnamon sticks and star anise.
- Refrigerate until serving.