Vegan Cheese and Chive Scones
by Buffy Ellen Gill
If your looking to make a soft, fluffy scone that is dairy free and vegan, this is it! This healthy homestyle remake is 100% plant-based and absolutely delicious. Perfect for morning or afternoon tea!
- 2 c Chantal Organics White Flour
- 4 tsp Chantal Organics Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Chantal Organics Fine Sea Salt
- 3 tbsp Chantal Organics Coconut Oil, slightly softened but cool (not melted)
- 1 tbsp Chantal Organics Olive Oil
- 1 c grated vegan cheese
- 1/4 c chopped chives
- 3/4 c Isola Bio Almond Milk
1. Preheat oven to 200°C (390°F) on fan bake.
2. Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl (flour, baking powder, and salt), then add coconut and olive oil and rub in with your fingers until fully combined and the mixture is like breadcrumbs. Pop in the freezer to briefly chill while prepping the other ingredients.
3. Grate the vegan cheese, chop the chives. Add to the dry ingredient mix and stir through until fully combined.
4. Finally, add milk and stir again lightly until combined. The mixture will be quite sticky - this is a good thing!
5. Lightly flour a board, then turn the mix onto it in a pile. Sprinkle extra flour on top of the pile then lightly knead, adding extra flour to the outsides as needed so it doesn’t stick to your hands. Mould into an even disc around 2 cm high (add a little more flour underneath if needed), then transfer to a lightly floured oven tray.
6. Score into 8 wedges (e.g. cut all the way through, but don’t move them apart), brush a little extra milk on top, then bake at 200°C for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
7. Remove, leave to cool on tray for 10 minutes, then devour or leave to cool fully on a wire rack covered in a tea towel to keep them soft.