Vanilla Cake with Blueberry Frosting
by Tereza Poljanic
A vegan treat from whole foodie Tereza Poljanic.
- 1½ cups Chantal wholemeal flour
- ¾ cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp Chantal baking soda
- ½ tsp Chantal fine sea salt
- ½ cup melted Chantal coconut oil
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 tbsp vanilla essence
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Blueberries, for topping
- 1 cup cashews (pre-soaked for at least 2 hours)
- 1 tsp Chantal vanilla essence
- ¼ cup melted Chantal coconut oil
- 4 tbsp almond milk
- 2 tbsp Chantal honey (or use Chantal brown rice malt syrup for a truly vegan option)
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 handful of blueberries
- A pinch of salt
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius and line a 20cm cake tin.
2. In a bowl, whisk together flour, coconut sugar, baking soda, and sea salt. Add coconut oil, almond milk, and vanilla extract and whisk until combined.
3. Add lemon juice and stir a few times with a wooden spoon, just enough to combine. The pour mixture into the prepared pan.
4. Bake for about 25-30min, or until the cake turns lightly golden.
5. Remove from the oven and let sit for 10-15 minutes. Remove cake from the pan and leave to cool on a cooling rack.
1. Drain cashews and rinse well. Blend all the ingredients in a high-speed blender until completely smooth. Refrigerate for at least one hour before using.
2. Decorate the vanilla cake with the frosting, a handful of fresh blueberries and a sprinkle of Chantal raw beetroot powder.
Serve with a dollop of coconut yogurt.