Summer Meatballs with Fennel & Dill
by Fresh Factory
This is a perfect summer family meal recipe. Flavourful Mediterranean lamb Meatballs cooked with fragrant fennel. It will become your family favourite.
For the meat balls
- 500g Minced Lamb (we love Pure South)
- 1 small onion, chopped finely
- 50g breadcrumbs (we love Diamond Coat’n’Cook Original)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- A handful dill, chopped (we love Superb Herb)
- A handful parsley, chopped (we love Superb Herb)
For the sauce
- 1 fennel bulbs (we love Fresh Grower)
- 3 tbsp extra virgin Avocado Oil (we love Olivado)
- 1 cup dry white wine (we love Ara Sauvignon blanc)
- 1 jar of Chantal Organics tomato pizza sauce
- 1 lemon – peel shaved into long strips, then cut into rounds
- 2 tbsp pine nuts, lightly toasted (we love Alison’s Pantry)
- Preheat oven to 180C
- Put the mince in a large bowl with the breadcrumbs, onion, parsley, dill, ½ tsp salt and a generous grind of black pepper. Mix to combine, then shape into about 30 golf-ball-sized balls.
- Trim the fennel, discarding the stalks but reserving the fronds for garnish. Cut each bulb in half lengthways, then cut into 2cm-wide wedges.
- Heat a heavy bottomed casserole dish over medium heat. Fry the meatballs in 2 batches with a drizzle of avocado oil, turning regularly, for 5 minutes or until browned all over. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- In the same pan, add some more avocado oil and saute the fennel wedges for 3 minutes or until browned all over. Add the white wine then once it’s bubbling, stir in the tomatoes, lemon and season well. Once the mix has come to a boil, lower the heat to low, cover the pan and leave to simmer gently for 10 minutes, until the fennel starts to soften.
- Stir in the meatballs to the pan and place in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Garnish with the pine nuts and reserved fennel fronds.