Spiced Apple & Feijoa Brown Rice Porridge
by Fresh Factory
Done with oats but love a good porridge? Try using brown rice instead for a gluten free alternative full of nutrients. We have paired apple and feijoa in this recipe with cinnamon and coconut milk for extra creaminess.
For the Porridge:
- 1 cup brown rice - washed (we love SunRice)
- 1 can Chantal Organics Coconut Milk
- Boiling water
- 3 Apples - 2 pealed, cored and cubed - 1 sliced thinly to garnish (we love Jazz apples)
- 8 Feijoas - 4 skin removed and cubed - 4 sliced thinly to garnish
- 8 select Dates - roughly chopped (we love Alison’s Pantry)
- 1 Cinnamon quill
- 1 Vanilla Pod
- 1 Tbsp honey
For the Pecans:
- Pecans (we love Alison’s Pantry)
- 1 tsp honey
- A pinch of salt
We used a Le Creuset deep casserole dis
- Bring the coconut milk, cinnamon quill and vanilla pod (slit lengthway with a sharp knife and scrape the seeds in as well as the pod) to a gentle simmer in a heavy based saucepan over a medium heat.
- Add the brown rice, cubed feijoa and apples, chopped dates, and simmer until brown rice is completely cooked through and you have a creamy texture - roughly 20-30 minutes. Add boiling water at any point to thin out consistency.
- In a fry pan over a high heat, toast the pecans in a little honey and salt until golden. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Once porridge is cooked, taste and add honey if necessary.
- Top with fresh feijoa, apple slices and honey salted pecans.