Rhubarb, Apple & Orange Muesli Crumble
by Fresh Factory
The humble crumble is so beautifully simple to make. This recipe is dairy free and vegan. We have used coconut oil instead of butter and plenty of organic grains for that delicious yet guilt-free dessert.
- 3 medium granny smith or braeburn apples, peeled, cored, cut into 3cm pieces
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3-4 tablespoons honey
- 2 cups rhubarb, cut into small pieces
- 1 large orange, zest and flesh - zest grated, flesh sliced thinly
For Crumble Topping
- 50g Chantal Organics virgin coconut oil
- 1/4 cup Chantal Organics golden sugar
- 1/2 cup Chantal Organics white flour
- 1 tsp Chantal Organics cinnamon powder
- 1 cup Chantal Organics Ginger Zest grainola
- Chantal Organics Coconut Cream - whipped
- Or Vanilla Bean ice cream (we love Kapiti)
We used a Le Creuset stoneware dish to bake our crumble.
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Combine apple, lemon juice, ¼ cup of water and honey in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook, covered, for 5 minutes. Add rhubarb. Cook, covered, for 5 to 6 minutes or until apples and rhubarb are just tender. Mix in the grated orange zest. Transfer to a deep ovenproof dish. Arrange the orange slices on top of the apple and rhubarb mixture. 2. Make the Muesli Crumble topping. In a large bowl, place the plain flour. Add the cold (and solid) coconut oil and work the fat into the flour using a metal fork until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Mix in sugar, cinnamon and muesli.
3. Sprinkle the muesli crumble topping over the fruit mixture. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Set aside for 5-10 minutes before serving with whipped coconut cream or ice cream.
Tip: Add more honey to the rhubarb apple mixture if it’s too tart.