Quinoa Crusted Fritto Misto
by Fresh Factory
Who doesn’t love a giant platter of crunchy, deep fried seafood and greens. All of the flavours are trapped inside the crisp batter. In this recipe the white wine and quinoa is added to the batter for ultimate crispiness. A side of lemony dill aioli will keep you coming back for more
- 1 Squid tube, defrosted if frozen and cut into 1cm rings (we love Sea Cuisine)
- 8-12 large raw prawns + raw prawn cutlets, thawed if frozen, deveined (we love Sea Cuisine)
- ½ packet Broccolini, halved lengthway (we love The Fresh Grower)
- 1 Fennel, stalk removed and cut into wedges (we love The Fresh Grower)
- 1 Red Onion, cut into thin wedges
For the batter
- 1 1/2 cups Chantal Organics flour
- ½ cup Chantal Organics rice flour
- ½ cup Chantal Organics quinoa
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ cup dry white wine (we love Ara Wine)
- 1 cup cold water
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
For the aioli
- 1 cup Mayonnaise
- 1 clove garlic, minced Juice of
- 1 lemon ½ cup chopped Dill (we love Superb Herb) plus some extra for garnish
- Lemon wedges to serve
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the flour, rice flour, quinoa, paprika, baking powder and salt. In a jug, mix the wine and water then whisk into the dry ingredients until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Heat the oil for deep frying to hot (180°C). When oil is hot, dip handfuls of vegetable into batter, letting excess drip off and slide into the hot oil. Fry for 2- 3 minutes, turning a few times, until golden. Transfer on to a kitchen paper lined plate. Fry vegetables and seafood in batches.
- Meanwhile combine the Aioli ingredients together and place in a serving bowl.
- Transfer fritto misto to a platter with the bowl of Aioli, garnish with some extra dill. Serve warm with plenty of lemon wedges and napkins.
Tip: Fry the vegetables first, then seafood. Pat dry the seafood with kitchen paper and dust with some extra rice flour before dipping into the batter will lessen oil splashes when frying.