by Fresh Factory
Cinnamon spiced lamb, grilled aubergine, a rich, cheesy béchamel sauce and fresh mint all layered into a beautiful dish and baked to golden perfection. Serve hot straight out of oven to your family dinner table. Enjoy!
For the lamb
- 500g lean lamb mince (We love Pure South)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 400g can Chantal Organics chopped tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp Chantal Organics tomato paste
- ½ cup Beef Stock (we love Simon Gaults)
- ½ cup Red Wine (We love Giesen)
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley - roughly chopped (we love Superb Herb)
- 2Tbsp fresh mint - chopped + some extra for topping (we love Superb Herb)
- ¼ tsp Chantal Organics cinnamon powder + some extra for the top
For the Cheese Sauce
- 75g butter
- ¼ cup Chantal Organics white flour
- 2 cups milk
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ cup cheddar cheese - grated (we love Mainland)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 medium-sized aubergines, ends trimmed
- Chantal Organics Extra Virgin Olive Oil to brush aubergine slices
- Extra cheddar cheese for topping
We used a Le Creuset stoneware dish to bake our Moussaka
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C. Grease a large lasagne dish.
2. Slice the aubergine into 5mm rounds and brush both sides with olive oil. Grill or pan-fry the slices for 3-4 minutes on until soft and browned. Set aside.
3. Heat a dash of olive oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until soft. Add lamb mince, breaking up the mince with a spatula as it browns. When the mince is brown, add tomatoes, tomato paste, beef stock, red wine, parsley, mint and cinnamon. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
4. While the meat sauce is cooking, make the classic cheese sauce. Melt the butter in a saucepan. Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in the milk and cook over a low heat until the mixture boils and thickens. Cool for 5 minutes before stirring in the grated cheese and egg.
5. To assemble the moussaka, layer the mince, aubergine slices and cheese sauce. Scatter over the cheddar cheese, some extra cinnamon and mint on top.
6. Bake in the pre-heated oven for 40-45 minutes until golden brown and bubbling hot. Serve hot, with a simple green salad.