by Robyn McFarlane
This healthy, fermented drink has become very popular and with good reason. It’s filled with probiotic goodness and supports the digestive system and immune system. Have you thought about brewing your own? We find Clipper tea gives a delicious flavour, our favourites are Skinni Vanilli, White tea with Raspberry or Wildberry. If you’re looking for a Scoby, check your local natural food store or look online here.
- 1 Scoby, rinsed in cool water
- 4 Litres of filtered water
- 5 or 6 Clipper tea bags (we love Clipper Teas)
- 1 cup Chantal Organics Golden Sugar
- 1 cup already brewed Kombucha
- 4 Litre Glass Jar/Jug (no metal) or Mason Jar
- 1 muslin cloth or tea towel and string
- 1 wooden spoon, not metal
1. Place the tea bags and sugar in the clean glass jar. Add 2 litres of boiling water. Stir and steep until water has reached room temperature.
2. Remove tea bags and add the remaining 2 litres of water and 1 cup of kombucha.
3. Carefully add the Scoby into the filled glass jar.
4. Cover with muslin cloth and tie with string.
5. Store in a cool, dark place for 7-10 days (more in winter, less in summer). Do Not Disturb.
6. After 5 days, give it a taste, if it’s too sweet, keep brewing to suit your taste. After 10 days at the most, remove tea towel and pour the Liquid “Kombucha” into glass bottles with an airtight lid.
Store in the fridge and drink chilled. Leave it out on the bench for a double ferment.
Note: For continuous brewing, leave the Scoby along with 1 cup of the Kombucha in its glass jar. Make the tea/sugar mix in another jar and pour into the jar with the Scoby. Change up the tea flavour for different varieties.