Ginger Zest Apple Crumble
by José Stichbury
Using Chantal Organics Zesty Grainola gives these crumbles a unique twist. And, as an added benefit these crumbles are much lower in sugar than a regular dessert crumble (they contain only 1 tsp of extra sweetener per crumble) so they could easily be eaten for breakfast! Another fab recipe from José Stichbury at Swoon Food.
- 4 apples
- 1/4 tsp Chantal Organics cinnamon powder
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 Tbsp Chantal Organics coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp Chantal Organics rice syrup, raw honey or apple syrup
- 2 cups Chantal Organics Ginger Zest Grainola
- 1/2 tsp Chantal Organics ginger powder (optional)
- 1/2 tsp Chantal Organics cinnamon powder (optional)
1. Peel the apples, remove the cores and cut into bit size chunks.
2. Place the apples along with the ﬁrst measure of cinnamon powder and the water into a small pan, place the lid on and set over medium heat.
3. Bring the apples to the boil then turn down the heat and allow to simmer until soft and fully cooked through - approximately 10-15 minutes. While the apples are cooking prepare the crumble.
4. Preheat the oven to 180ºC fan bake and place 6 ramekins (or 1 large pie dish) on a baking tray.
5. Gently melt the coconut oil either in the microwave or in a bowl set over a pan of steaming water.
6. Place the granola, sweetener and melted coconut oil into a large bowl and stir well to combine. If you like a bit of spice, add the optional ground cinnamon and ginger to the crumble mix.
7. When the apples are ready, spoon them into the 6 ramekins (or one large pie dish). Pile the crumble high on top of the apple - it’s sticky enough that it won’t fall oﬀ while baking.
8. Place the crumbles in the centre of the oven for approximately 10 minutes or until you can see the fruit bubbling up the sides and the crumble has turned golden.
Serve warm with your favourite yoghurt or ice cream.
Any leftover crumble can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days.