Fried Bao Bun Ice Cream Sandwich
by Fresh Factory
Vanilla bean ice cream sandwiched with Peanut Butter and banana in a crispy fried hot bao bun. The salty, sweet cashew crumb adds extra crunch and balances the sweetness.
- 4 ready made Bao Buns, keep frozen (we love United Food Co)
- 1/2 L cooking oil for deep frying
- 1 banana, peeled and sliced (we love Dole)
- 4 scoops vanilla ice cream (we love Kapiti)
- 4 tsp Chantal Organics Peanut Butter
- ½ cup natural cashews - chopped (we love Alison’s Pantry)
- 2 tbsp Tawari Honey honey (we love Airborne honey)
- Heat cooking oil in a heavy bottomed pan or a wok to medium hot (150C).
- Deep fry the bao buns from frozen. The buns sink to the bottom of the ban at first but slowly come up to the oil surface as they cook. Fry until outside of the bun is crisp and golden. Drain on kitchen towel.
- Meanwhile, make the salty sweet cashew crumb. Roast the cashews slowly in a dry non stick frypan on a low heat. When the cashew are golden, drizzle honey and sprinkle salt. Mix well and keep cooking for a little longer until the moisture of the honey evabolates. Cool. Set aside.
- Make a slit on each fried bao ban. Spread peanut butter inside of the slit, sandwich a scoop of ice cream and banana slices. Sprinkle the cashew crumb and serve immediately.