Chocolate Rice Krispies
by Kristen Capaccio
A healthier take on a nostalgic childhood treat. These are great for curbing those afternoon sugar cravings, and they’re refined sugar free.
- 1 cup almonds
- 2/3 cup Chantal Organics Sunflower Seeds
- 1/3 cup Chantal Jumbo Oats
- 1/2 tsp Chantal Naturals Sea Salt Fine
- 1/3 cup cacao nibs
- 2 cups puffed rice or rice bubbles
- 1/4 cup Chantal Organics Whole Tahini, Almond Butter or Peanut Butter
- 3/4 cup Chantal Organics Rice Syrup
- 1 tbsp Chantal Organics Coconut Oil
- 2 tsp Chantal Organics Coconut Oil (for top layer)
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 200g dark chocolate
1. Grease the bottom of a 22.5x33cm glass dish with coconut oil.
2. Blend the almonds, sunflower seeds, oats and sea salt in a food processor until pulverized, but still chunky. Pour into a large bowl, along with the cacao nibs and rice bubbles.
3. Meanwhile, in a small sauce pan over low heat, combine the tahini, rice syrup, coconut oil and vanilla extract, stirring continually until its melted and well blended. Pour this mixture over the dry ingredients and stir well, then press into the pan.
4. On very low heat, melt the dark chocolate with the last 2 tsp of coconut oil. Stir constantly, watching it very carefully so it does not burn.
5. Spread the melted chocolate over the rice bars with a spatula and refrigerate for at least 2 hours to set. Cut into small squares and keep refrigerated in an air tight container.