Chocolate Orange Energy Bars
by Renee Brown
Having small bites on hand to bridge the gap between meals is never a bad idea, especially for wee ones at school, or those of us at desk jobs. That said, tt seems many ‘healthy’ and ready to eat snacks are often laden with refined sugar, artificial colours and preservatives, which aren’t so great for our health. Here’s a delicious yet nourishing energy bar recipe, that’s easy to put together, and ideal for curbing those afternoon sugar cravings.
- 2 ½ cups Chantal Organics Jumbo Rolled Oats
- ½ cup of Chantal Organics Pumpkin or Sunflower seeds (or a mix of both)
- ¾ cup of Chantal Organics Almond Butter
- ½ cup of Chantal Organics Brown Rice Syrup
- 3 Tbsp cacao powder
- 1 Tbsp water
- ½ cup Chantal Organics Dried Apricots, chopped
- 50g dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp Chantal Organics Cinnamon Powder
- Zest from one orange
- ½ tsp Chantal Organics Fine Sea Salt
- 50g of dark chocolate (70% or more)
- Handful of Chantal Organics Desiccated Coconut
- Handful of goji berries
1. Place the rolled oats in a pan and gently toast for 5 minutes or until slightly golden. Place them into a large mixing bowl to cool.
2. Add the seeds to the pan, and lightly toast for 2-3 minutes or until golden. Add them to the bowl with the oats.
3. Add the apricots, chocolate, cinnamon and orange zest and mix well.
3. In a separate bowl add the nut butter, brown rice syrup, cacao powder, water and mix well.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry toasted ingredients and mix well until all ingredients are covered evenly.
5. Pour the mixture into a lined baking tray. Press down firmly with a spatula or your hands and smooth over. Put in the fridge for one hour to allow them to set.
6. Once set, melt the dark chocolate in a small bowl over a warm bowl of water. Drizzle the chocolate over the bars along with a sprinkle of goji berries or desiccated coconut.
7. Cut into bars. Store in the fridge in an airtight container for one week.