Caramelised Upside Down Plum & Orange Cake
by Fresh Factory
This gluten free, caramelised upside down orange and plum cake is not only a sight to see but a moist, delicious extravaganza, sure to please your afternoon tea guests.
For the batter
- 300g butter - melted (we love Anchor)
- 1 ½ cups Chantal Organics Golden Sugar
- 4 eggs (we love Woodland)
- Zest of one orange
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 3 ½ cups ground almonds (we love Alison’s Pantry)
- 1 cup Chantal Organics Buckwheat Flour
- 1 tsp Chantal Naturals Baking Powder
For the Plums
- 8 plums - halved, pip removed
- ½ cup Chantal Organics Golden Sugar
- Baking parchment paper
- Chantal Organics Coconut Oil for greasing
- Ice cream - optional (we love Kapiti)
- Heat the oven to 180C and line a 20cm cake tin with parchment paper and grease with a little coconut oil.
- In a bowl - whisk together the butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla, orange juice and zest.
- Sift and fold through the buckwheat flour and baking powder and finally fold through the ground almonds. In a large non stick fry pan over a medium/high heat melt the sugar and cook until it reached a golden colour.
- Drizzle the caramel on the bottom of the lined cake tin. Top with the plum halves to cover the base of the tin and then pour the cake batter over to cover.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until a skewer comes out clean.
- Serve warm with some good quality ice cream.