Homemade, Eco-friendly and Edible Gift Giving
Give a meaningful gift this holiday season, with homemade goodies full of wholefoods and love.
There’s something special about receiving (and giving) a homemade gift. The care and time spent in the kitchen make them a treasured gift that simply cannot be bought in a store. Pack your edible goodies in upcycled jars for a truly sustainable gift. Find some festive inspiration below along with some of our favourite recipes.
- Homemade baking is at the top of the list, as everyone loves a sweet treat during the holidays. We recommend something a little different such as Vegan Mini Pavlovas, Salted Caramel Slice, Tahini Fudge or a Rosemary Lemon Cake. Package them up in an upcycled biscuit tin or in a stainless-steel lunchbox for a gift that keeps on giving.
- If you’re after a healthier gift, pack a special lunch for a friend or colleague, put a ribbon around it and give it to them in the morning. The surprise will put a sparkle in their eye and a fresh, healthy lunch will power them through their day. This make-ahead plant-based Gado-Gado Bowl is a guaranteed winner!
- For the friend who likes to celebrate the holidays with a celebratory tipple, this simple Christmas Gin with a personalised touch makes for a very festive G&T.
- Homemade mustard, jam, jelly or pickle can be made early and given to just about everyone on your list. Condiments make the perfect gift for the host and are a delicious addition to any summer entertaining platter. This Christmas Chutney recipe from Nigella Lawson is wonderful with Christmas Day leftovers.
- Give the gift of Fairtrade chocolate, whether it’s in fudge, cookies or on its own, everyone loves chocolate. Pair this Vegan Hot Chocolate with a carton of plant-based milk.
Homemade Treats that look Fabulous in an Upcycled Glass Jar
Chantal Organics glass jars are perfect for upcycling, making a simple peanut butter jar into eco-friendly, festive packaging! Simply tie a ribbon around the top, wrap with twine or have the kids paint it.
- Healthy, wholegrain popcorn quickly turns into a moreish and festive gift with this amazingly delicious Peanut Butter & Cinnamon Caramel Popcorn recipe.
- A jar full of caramelised or roasted nuts is the perfect gift for someone who loves to nibble. This moreish Hemp Heart, Nut & Seed Cluster recipe is suitable for your paleo and vegan friends too.
- Rise and shine with a homemade muesli or granola. This festive Christmas Spiced Granola looks and tastes amazing!
- Holiday Truffles, Energy Balls and Chocolate Bites are easy to make, plant-based and if rolled in strawberry powder look festive too.
- For the dedicated baker, a sourdough starter kit is a thoughtful and appreciated gift.
- Another baker’s delight is homemade vanilla extract. In a small jar, simply soak two vanilla beans for each 50ml of vodka. Attach a tag with instructions: Shake a couple times a week, for 4 weeks. Check your local resale shop for a small, thin jar.
- Create a unique Baking Kit. Using your favourite recipe, fill a jar with all the dry ingredients and add a tag with instructions for preparing. This Paleo Bread recipe is easy and tasty, making it perfect for someone new to healthy baking.
- What about a gift for the dog lover? Make wholefood dog treats for a special doggie bite.
If time is running out, put together a ‘foodie’ gift basket with healthy, plant-based foods by Chantal Organics such as Turmeric Tamari Roasted Almonds, smooth Almond Butter, omega-rich Hemp Hearts or Greek Extra Virgin Olive Oil. What will you give this year?