by Tereza Poljanic
A healthier take on a warming winter favourite by whole foodie, Tereza Poljanic. Who doesn’t love a slice of apple pie? And even better when it’s homemade and vegan too.
- 2 1/4 cups Chantal Zentrofan wheat flour (wholemeal flour can be used too)
- 1/2 tsp Chantal fine sea salt
- 6 1/2 tbsp Chantal coconut oil
- 6 1/2 tbsp Chantal apple syrup
- 1 tbsp cold water
- 8 medium apples (peeled, cored and diced in 2cm pieces)
- 1 tsp Chantal cinnamon powder
- 1/2 tsp Chantal ginger powder
- A pinch of Chantal fine sea salt
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp Chantal apple syrup
- 1 tbsp Chantal brown rice syrup
- 2 tbsp Chantal arrowroot powder
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
2. Line the bottom of a 9-inch spring form pan with parchment paper.
3. Add flour and salt to a medium bowl and stir to combine.
4. In another bowl, whisk together the coconut oil, rice syrup and water. Then add to the flour mixture and mix well. The mixture should form a firm, soft dough. Add more water a teaspoon at a time if mixture is slightly dry.
5. Evenly press into pan, pressing all the way up the sides and set aside.
6. Add the apples to a large bowl along with the remaining ingredients and toss until evenly combined.
7. Pour apple mixture into the crust and lightly press down to fit all the apples in. Cover with foil to seal it well and bake for 45 minutes.
8. Once apples are cooked through remove cover and bake another 20 minutes. When the juices have thickened and edge of crust is a deep golden colour the pie will be ready.
9. Remove from oven and set aside to cool completely. Slice and serve.
Serve warm with a dollop of coconut yoghurt or a scoop of vanilla ice cream and an extra drizzle of apple syrup.