Ancient Grains Chicken Katsu
by Fresh Factory
Katsu is a Japanese style crispy meat dish, often served with rice. We’ve done our spin on the traditional katsu by creating an ancient grains chicken katsu with brown rice and buckwheat (infused with Hainanese chicken flavours) accompanied by a light salad. It’s healthy, fast and incredibly delicious!
2 microwave pouches of SunRice Brown Rice and Buckwheat infused with Hainanese Chicken Flavours
For the salad
- 1 carrot, julienned
- ⅛ red cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 tbsp pickled ginger , chopped
- 1 spring onion, sliced
- 2 tbsp Superb Herb coriander, roughly chopped
- 1 lime, juice only
- 1 tbsp Chantal Organics Sesame Oil
- 3 tbsp tonkatsu sauce
- 3 tbsp Japanese mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp Alison’s Pantry sesame seeds, toasted
Beer match: Emersons NZ Pilsner
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Lay the chicken fillets on a baking tray lined with baking paper and bake for 15 minutes on each side, until cooked and golden.
- Heat the SunRice brown rice and buckwheat infused with Hainanese chicken pouches as per instructions.
- For the salad: combine carrot, cabbage, pickled ginger, spring onion, coriander, lime juice and sesame oil in a bowl. Mix.
- Serve rice, chicken and salad on four plates. Drizzle with tonkatsu sauce and Japanese mayonnaise. Sprinkle with spring onion and sesame seeds.
- Serve with lime and a cold pilsner.
Tonkatsu Sauce is a thick tangy and sweet sauce used for many Japanese style recipes. It can be found in the International aisle of major supermarkets. Or you can make it at home by mixing 1/4 cup tomato ketchup, 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce, 1 tsp sugar and 2 tsp soy sauce.