All In Vege Lasagne
by Buffy-Ellen Gill
This delicious lasagne by nutritionist Buffy-Ellen Gill is one of our favourite meals to make in advance utilizing all of the seasonal produce from our weekly Vegebox. It’s great to heat up at work for a quick yet nourishing lunch, or to have in the fridge or freezer for an easy family dinner. Although it takes some time to cook, the actual prep time is only 20 minutes all up. Plus – anything goes! This recipe is perfectly crafted so you can use whatever veges are in season. No silverbeet? Try spinach or kale. Mushrooms all out? Carrots will do just fine. So open up your fridge, and book this one in for this week!
- 1 big bunch or 250g spinach, silverbeet or kale
- 150g lasagne sheets
- 1/2 cup grated vegan cheese
- 1 Tbsp Chantal coconut oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed/chopped
- 2 cups chopped veggies (e.g 1 carrot and 1 stalk celery)
- 1 1/2 cups Chantal passata
- 1 tbsp fresh oregano, thyme and/or rosemary
- 1/2 tsp Chantal fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup plant-based milk (almond, rice, oat, soy, and coconut will all work great here)
- 1 tsp Chantal brown rice syrup
- 275g tofu
- ½ cup plant-based milk
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice (1 lemon)
- 1 Tbsp white miso
- 1 tsp Chantal fine sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (360°F), and grab a 30x30 cm or similar sized dish.
2. Make sauce: Heat coconut oil on medium, sauté onion for 1 minute, then add garlic and veggies for another few minutes until starting to soften. Add tomatoes, herbs and salt and simmer on low for 10 minutes until slightly reduced, then add milk and sweetener and turn off the heat.
3. Make ricotta: Blitz all ingredients together until smooth (while sauce is cooking).
4. Prep greens: Steam greens in a pan with a dash of water, stems first, then leaves at the end.
5. Assemble: add a little bit of sauce to cover the bottom of your dish, then 1/4 of lasagne sheets (layer 1), 1/2 your tofu ricotta, 1/2 of your greens and then 1/4 lasagne sheets (layer 2). Then add 1/2 your veggie sauce, 1/2 greens and 1/4 lasagne sheets again (layer 3. Finally, do 1/2 veggie sauce, 1/4 lasagne sheets (layer 4) and top with 1/2 ricotta and a hearty topping of vegan cheese.
6. Bake: covered for 30 minutes, uncovered for 10, or switch it up to grill for those last 10 to brown it faster. Be sure to let rest for 5-10 minutes before serving so it holds together when sliced. Will keep in the fridge for 5 days, or in the freezer for 2 months.