Tomato chicken bake
by Ashleigh Burgess
A delicious yet healthy and warming meal, perfect for wintry evenings cosied up indoors. We’re loving this recipe by foodie Ashleigh Burgess.
- 1 tsp Chantal cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp Chantal ginger powder
- 1 tsp dried taragon
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp Chantal chilli flakes
- 4 large chicken thighs, bone in.
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 can Chantal chopped tomatoes
- 4 cloves of fresh garlic
- 1 large orange kumara
- 3/4 cup grated cheese
1. In a ramekin, mix together all of your marinade ingredients and stir until well combined.
2. Place chicken thighs in a roasting dish and coat generously with salt and pepper. Then rub your marinade all over the top of the chicken. This marinade makes enough to coat 4 large thighs.
3. Set aside in the fridge to marinate for approx 1-2 hours. Overnight is even better.
4. Preheat the oven to 160c.
5. Leaving the skin on, cut up the sweet potato and place in the tray with the chicken Lightly drizzle olive oil over the sweet potato. Pour the can of tomatoes over the top of the chicken, and then place your garlic cloves (diced roughly, or cut in half) into the tomato.
6. Place in the oven to cook for 2.5 hours. About 15 minutes before the chicken is ready to be taken out of the oven, mash the sweet potato with a fork (lightly, just enough to break it up) then place cheese over the top of the tomato. Return to the oven on grill, until the time is up, or the cheese is golden brown on the top.
Serve with a sprinkling of your favourite fresh herbs. We love a mix of coriander and basil.