Healthy Chicken Nuggets with Tomato Sauce
by Chloe Moir
Chicken nuggets are a common favourite snack for little ones, but the frozen and takeout varieties are often filled with additives and preservatives with little nutritional value. We’re loving this recipe from foodie Chloe Moir. The coating also works for crumbed fish too!
- 2 tbsp Chantal sunflower seeds
- 1 x free-range, organic chicken breast
- ½ tbsp Chantal brown rice flour
- 1/4 tsp Chantal fine sea salt
- 1/2 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 2 heaped tbsp desiccated coconut
- 2 heaped tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tsp Chantal coconut oil
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 5 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
- ½ tsp Chantal curry powder
- 1 tsp of garlic powder
- 1 tsp of dried mixed herbs
- 1 heaped tbsp Chantal sultanas
- 2 tsp Chantal apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp Chantal tomato paste
- Chantal fine sea salt to season
1. To make the sauce, heat a teaspoon of coconut oil in a pan on medium heat.
2. Cook the onion until soft. Add the fresh tomatoes, curry powder, garlic powder and mixed herbs and continue cooking for another 5 minutes until the tomatoes are soft. If the mixture starts to dry up, add a dash of water.
3. Add the rest of the sauce ingredients and continue to cook on low heat for 3-5 more minutes. Taste and season.
4. Blend the tomato sauce in a high speed blender until smooth, alternatively you can miss this step and have it chunky. 5. Store the sauce in the fridge and use within 4 days.
1. Place the sunflower seeds in a blender or grinder and blend into a fine flour and set aside.
2. Slice the chicken into 1cm thick pieces. In a snap-lock bag place the flour, add the chicken pieces, seal the bag and shake well.
3. In a bowl combine the desiccated coconut, sunflower seed flour, sesame seeds and seasonings.
4. In another bowl crack the eggs and whisk.
5. Dip each chicken piece in the egg then press to coat evenly with the coconut and sunflower mixture.
6. Place a teaspoon of coconut oil in a pan on medium heat. Cook each piece of chicken for about 3 minutes each side.
7. Cut one piece through the middle to check the chicken is cooked before serving.
8. Alternatively, you can bake the chicken in the oven. Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees Celcius. Line all the nuggets up on an oven tray lined with baking paper.
9. Bake in the oven for 6 minutes, turn each nugget over and bake again for another 6 minutes.
Serve together with a simple garden salad.